The Yankton Alumni Association is a community based non-profit 501 (c)(3) corporation. Led by a board of directors representing business, education and the community, the Alumni is dedicated to maintaining a high quality education for students of all ages in Yankton.
Our story as a district began on February 2, 1875, with an act of the legislature that created the Yankton Board of Education. Yankton High School became the first high school in Dakota Territory. The first college followed soon after.
From its inception in 1875, the Yankton School District has grown to include six school buildings and an alternative learning center. Four elementary schools, one middle school, one high school, and the alternative learning center (9-12) serve a population of roughly 18,000 people and an area of 210 square miles—all of which is located in Yankton County.
Plenty of opportunities exist for learning outside of the classroom as well. With strong theater, music, oral interpretation, debate, art, and athletic programs, Yankton School District encourages the development of all the gifts our students possess.